getting rid of qt3support in kde-workspace

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed May 25 20:50:45 BST 2011

On Wednesday 25 May 2011, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 May 2011 May, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Wednesday, May 25, 2011, Boudewijn Rempt va escriure:
> > > (As well as QWidget/QPainter code, too, of course.)
> >
> > Hope you are really joking with this one.
>
> No, I'm not joking. If QWidget/QPainter are declared "done" now, then with
> Qt6, they will be gone, just like qt3support will be gone in Qt5. And that
> will be in a relatively short period of time: five years or so.

I don't think so.
The switch from Qt3 to Qt4 was big, i.e. really big. I mean "big".
But IMO it would be nothing compared a switch from Qt with QWidget to Qt
without QWidget.
So I think QWidgets are here to stay.
Especially with the "Open Governance" I think about every current Qt user will
want to keep them, not only us, but also all commercial Qt users.

Alex