Accessibility and KDE Sessions

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 12 08:11:20 BST 2011

On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 13:00:25 Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> 1) Making Qt load accessibility plugins:
> One possible solution is to query a X-Atom to check if the accessibility
> dbus is running.

just check for the dbus service. no need for X atoms there.

> The downside is that this only works for newly started
> applications. It requires no changes to the existing infra structure and
> can be handled inside Qt with no changes in other places.
> (for comparison, on Windows we get a system call NotifyWinEvent which
> signifies that now the accessibility should be activated... the current

we can do the same with a QDBusServiceWatcher that responds to an a11y dbus
service name coming or going, ensuring it works even with apps started prior
to the a11y framework being available.

it could even be made configurable such that unless a11y suport is requested,
that service watcher object isn't even created. this could live as a QSettings
entry?

> 2) Activating accessibility for a KDE Session
> I have no idea about how to handle this in KDM.
> For KDE in general, we could again persue a similar way to what Gnome does.
> There is the at-spi-dbus-bus.desktop file included in at-spi-2-core which
> takes care of starting a dbus registry and setting up the session as needed
> (starting Orca for example)

we can do something triksy like:

TryExec[$e]=$(kreadconfig ...)

--