Qt5 -> KDE5?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue May 10 10:06:25 BST 2011

On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:34:32 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> KIO needs some love, but I don't think we should take the BC opportunity to
> open the floodgates again.

agreed, but i do think there is an opportunity here to try and separate the
platform integration bits out of KIO. otherwise KIO almost becomes a non-
starter for anything that isn't a desktop.

we don't necessarily need to rework the API very much, just modularize the
library so it is more reusable. my concern is that if we don't do this, we'll
end up with a lot of applications marooned on the desktop or off the desktop
due to have KIO (or not) or a lot of applications with multiple code paths for
this functionality. (libplasma already has one such code path!)

it might be tempting to say, "let's just find something else for non-desktop
stuff" but we have so much code using KIO and it is a rather good API and
library otherwise that it would be a damn shame to go that route.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se