Qt5 -> KDE5?

Michael Zanetti mzanetti at kde.org
Tue May 10 08:14:16 BST 2011

On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 00:35:17 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Qt 5 results in no need to think about "KDE5" because there will be no such
> thing as "KDE4".
> The only thing Qt 5 does is to enforce "KDE Platform 5" because of the
> broken binary compatibility.
> KDE Plasma Workspaces can stay at 4.x and build on Platform 5 unless KPW
> magically becomes something totally different that justifies a major
> version jump. Change of the back-end alone does IMO not justify a big
> version jump for KPW just as Phonon did not jump to 5.0 just because xine
> was deprecated in favor of VLC and GStreamer. Nothing from KPW guaranties
> binary compatibility which IMO means that the user workflow has to change
> dramatically for a big version jump.
>
> If classic QWidgets stay, I also don't see why KDE Applications need to
> jump from 4.x to 5.0. Most will just be recompiled to use the new Platform
> 5 without any huge GUI facelifts.

This reflects exactly my opinion. The only thing required is the Plaform
version increase. Then we could/should add KDE-QML-Components to make it
possible to start new applications using QML in a KDE-like fashion.

On the other hand, I don't really care if we have the version number 4, 5 or
2012.42. The important thing here is to make the transition to Qt5 smooth for
both, developers and users.