Git Workflow - Outstanding Issues

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 18 18:32:22 GMT 2011

Hi,

We still have some outstanding issues from the Git Workflow meeting a while
back (see http://community.kde.org/20110213_GitWorkflowAgenda) which I'd like
to see updated.

* Workflow
eean, steveire and PovAddict were to draw up alternative workflow proposals,
steveire has drawn up one at
http://community.kde.org/20110213_GitWorkflowAgenda/StevesIdea (see earlier
thread).  Do we have the other proposals yet?  What needs doing to move this
forward?

* Release branch naming, KDE/4.6 vs 4.6
This was decided by a coin toss to be 4.6 rather than KDE/4.6, but I suspect
by now more people have stable branches from kdelibs/kdebase than the other
modules so it may be less disruptive overall to use KDE/4.6?

Either way, there's still a couple of outstanding actions:
** Sysadmins to rename the branches that use the losing naming scheme if
that's possible without too much disruption
** Sysadmins to block creating new branches for the losing naming scheme.

* Documentation
I've started the Git documentation:
  http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git
  http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git/Configuration
  http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git/Recipes

I've also been revising the TechBase "Getting Started" pages, but that's a
separate email.

* Commit Template
I've finally committed the Commit Template into kdelibs, any Git project that
wants to use a different version can commit that to their own repo provided
they follow the basic rules.

Cheers!

John.