Dependencies Policy?

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 18 12:21:19 GMT 2011

Hi,

I was wondering if we need to define a "New Dependencies" policy, or at least
some guidelines to remind people what to think about when choosing or creating
new dependencies?

Something like:
* All new dependencies must be advised to the kde-build and kde-packager lists
* Any changes to KDE Development Platform dependencies (or to KDE Support
projects that the dev platform depends on) to be discussed on k-c-d first
* Only depend on packages with a stable release
* Pick dependencies with api/abi guarantees or well managed .so versioning
* What's our attitude to inherited dependencies at both build and runtime,
i.e. are libraries or services that use GConf/DConf/Glib/etc acceptable?
* Optional dependencies preferred, try ensure a sensible fallback if not
available

Any other points?

John.