Future of KSysguard - removing remote monitoring

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Thu Mar 10 14:43:20 GMT 2011

On March 8, 2011, John Tapsell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   For the past 13 years or so, ksysguard has been in KDE under various
> names.  Right from the beginning it was designed to monitor remote
> systems as well as local ones.

John, thanks a lot for taking care of ksysguard. I consider it one of the best
applications of the KDE basic workspace. I push it energetically on all sys-
admins I find (and usually they're easily convinced).

I believe the most important feature of ksysguard is its remote capability. I
must acknowledge that I know very little of the mechanics of this feature (yet
I know it is developed in-house, since at the time (long ago...), Chris
Schlaeger didn't really have much choice in terms of monitoring libraries).

I dare to ask you consider to not remove this feature. Perhaps your
observation is rather an occasion to look at some redesign (and reuse of
better (?) technologies in remote monitoring).

Another aspect that tingled me for some time now is how nice ksysguard widgets
would fit in plasmoids.

Thanks a lot for your attention and for your great work.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org