libkmap in kdereview

John Layt john at layt.net
Sun Mar 6 16:31:55 GMT 2011

On Sunday 06 March 2011 12:30:46 Christoph Feck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not seen a new announcement yet, but I assume the kface and kmap
> libraries are in review currently.
>
> As I already stated, I suggest to rename "libkmap" to maybe "libkgeomap".
> The word "map" in programming context is mostly understood in the "data
> mapping" sense, and renaming would avoid possible confusion.
>
> Christoph Feck (kdepepo)

I'd agree with a rename, but I'm also slightly concerned the libkgeomap name
suggests it is _the_ KDE solution for geomaps and other modules will start
using it that way and we will have a de-facto solution without any thought
being put into it.  If it's ever intended to be used outside kdegraphics or
even eventually moved to kdelibs then a stricter review will be needed, and
we'd need to think about how it compares to using QtMobility/QLocation.

John.