Profiles for all KDE-applications

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 01:25:17 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 02 March 2011 15:31:21 Anders Lund wrote:
> On Onsdag den 2. marts 2011, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > what about having two config file, a primary one that is the "real one"
> > > and a set of secondary ones that can be loaded and changed on the fly
> > > depending on activity change?
> >
> > Perfectly possible from the technical side thanks to KConfig, but:
> > Upon changing a configuration parameter, how should the user decide
> > whether this change is local to the activity or global to all
> > activities (i.e. whether it goes into the activity-specific config or
> > the "real one")?
>
> That is a good argument for this being a feature for the application to
> handle - by offering the user a way to know what she does.

In my experience the hardest question by far in a nontrivial configuration
system is always how to handle differences between different configurations - I'm
thinking of cascading systems where you can store differences against the
baseline as diffs or as absolute values, but it will hardly be easier with a
cascading system like KConfig *plus* switchable user-level configuration.
I recommend not to implement this feature because it opens a big can of worms
and it will cause headaches for years to come, and require application support
to work well.
We have more important things to do. Note there are no wishlist items for this
(prove me wrong ;).