KF5 & Qt5 - QtCS Session

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Jun 30 07:19:22 BST 2011

On Thursday, 2011-06-30, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em Thursday, 30 de June de 2011, às 03:26:02, Christoph Feck escreveu:
> > We probably need kDebug(area) et al. features in Qt 5, too. For example,
> > I plan to make "kdelibs/kimgio" pure Qt, but when we switch to qDebug(),
> > we lose the ability to filter/redirect/suppress messages.
>
> When you switch to Qt, you remove all debugging or you #ifdef it out.

What Christoph probably meant was that he is looking for logging support of
some kind.

While kDebug() might initially have been ment to be used for debugging during
development, it is quite often also used for normal runtime logging even in
release builds.

The "info" log level is missing in both Qt and KDE as far as I know (but I am
no expert on either logging facility).
Basically all companies that I have worked with over many years which had Qt
based products for non-consumer market have either had implemented their own
custom logging solution or hacked some Qt support on top of existing solutions
like log4cxx.

Maybe the way forward is to provide a logging module based on kDebug et al as
a Qt-Addon and use that in an KDE framework allowing such dependency.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring