OpenPrinting Job Offer

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Wed Jun 29 20:27:39 BST 2011

On Wednesday 29 Jun 2011 14:56:27 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> I thought GNOME/GTK already rejected Common Print Dialog, therefore
> rendering it effectively dead. (Nothing "Common" if only KDE adopts it.)

Last I heard Gnome had expressed reservations about its appearance breaking
their HIG and so they were not willing to accept it in its current unfinished
state.  OpenPrinting have discussed this and are looking into how to meet
Gnomes requirements.  And if Ubuntu and Unity does adopt it then it's at least
semi-common :-).

I'll admit to having reservations about some parts of CPD myself but I'm
willing to run with it to see where it goes.  Worst comes to worst and it
doesn't work out then we can salvage the good backend bits like the
improvements they've made in PPD handling as a library, and pick up the
interesting api and gui bits for use in the Qt/KDE native dialog.

John.