KDM plans and lightDM

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed Jun 15 13:23:09 BST 2011

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:00:00PM +0200, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> 2 takes long to start
>
> I think lightdm solves (2), but does so by cutting features, features
> which we probably need (some asked for XDMCP as an example).

no, it solves it by not using qt+kdeui (and even less plasma).

if you adapt xdm's Xt frontend to the backend's last 10 years of
development in kde, you will still easily get the fastest dm
realistically possible, and demonstrate that kdm is just as
"cross-desktopy" as fooDM could ever claim to be.
i originally wanted to push my stuff back to X, but the frontend/backend
interface is just too unstable to actually have independent projects.
i.e., the backend and frontends need to be all in one repo (that may be
realistic now, but was a pipe dream at the time i was really active).

and fwiw, gdm 2.4+ is also a contender for The Cross Desktop DM. the
backend doesn't need anything else than glib (incl. gobject and d-bus
bindings), which is about as much as lightDM needs. kdm beats that ...