KDM plans and lightDM

Shaun Reich predator106 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 23:37:25 BST 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:
> Should that ever get finished. Shaun?

Good question ;-)
Yeah, it's in a pretty finished state, after my unintentional hiatus.
Mostly I've been cleaning stuff up(and yes, I've been actively
committing lately), so that the qml code can look the best. It already
runs plasma and qml and logs in, just have a few more things to do on
it. (kinda refactoring a bit so it doesn't come to bite me later on,
at the moment..)

> In particular it is my personal believe that a strong separation between DM
> logic and desktop binding/integration magic is beneficial from a structural
> POV. That way you can easily swap the integration bits (QWidgets -> Plasma QGV
> stuff -> Plasma QML stuff?) around without having to poke into the DM stuff at
> all.

Well, you see. You have to understand my frustration --> the thing is,
this *already* exists in KDM. And anything that is deemed
unsatisfactory(not everything's perfect, naturally) could easily be
changed of course.

Everybody talks about it like it's some magical unicorn that hasn't
been spotted before, but the truth is, it's staring everyone in the
face.

In fact, I have dealt directly with this separation when I've been
working on the Plasma frontend, and based some of it around the
original kfrontend (qwidget) code. So I don't see what the big deal
is, considering I've already worked with this myself...

(also note that the Plasma QGV and Plasma QML stuff are kind of one in
the same, in the case of my code. one can easily make a qgw as the
greeter...of course, I'm using qml. well, unless you're counting
things like the scene and the view. but I haven't found a case for
moving those to qml yet. not that it'd be that difficult, since it's
all modular)

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)