KDM plans and lightDM

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Mon Jun 13 20:50:30 BST 2011

Hi Alex,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Alex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> For the experts: Does lightDM feel nice as a cross-desktop solution? is it
> good enough?

I cannot speak to the suitability of lightDM as a KDM replacement.
However, I just wanted to point to a couple of discussions about this
from gnome-land (as one of the aims was to be cross-desktop)[1,2].

As to power management: I never quite understood why the power
management policy daemons are implemented inside the DE's. Shouldn't
this be a system-wide daemon, that could be controlled from the DE's
(similarly to what Network Manager is for networking)? This would give
reasonable power management also when logged in from the console, or
as your example illustrates, not logged in at all (at the console or
in the DM).

Cheers,

Tom

[1] http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/2414.html