KDE git workflow

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 9 14:57:31 BST 2011

> To make this happen we need to make these branches visible, communicate
> what's
> going on in them, and advertise them to other developers and adventurous
> users. One project which does that successfully is the Kernel, so maybe we
> could do it in a similar way.

Will we have a single person review every single commit to master, too?

> We might have a "Aaron's branch" of Plasma with
> the latest Plasma features, or a "KDAB branch" of KDE PIM, which integrates
> the latest KDE PIM enterprise features, etc.

And what if there are multiple branches on the same module at the same
time? Which one of these branches, or master (or release?) is going to
get testing coverage?

An alternative, of course, is to discourage use of branches if at all
possible, and rather
prefer a consistently working and stable master (which optionally then
becomes the release, without further branching)... or at the very
least not to disallow such methodology by fiat.

Thanks,
Maks