KDE git workflow

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Jun 8 18:03:01 BST 2011

As you already know, we have discussed the git workflow for KDE at the
Platform 11 sprint, and have come up with a recommendation. Please find the
full text here: http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Git_Workflow

The core ideas are that:
* master is always kept in a stable state that is ready to be used for
starting a release
* development is happening in feature branches
* for larger projects integration branches will be used for further
stabilization and wider testing
* changes going into master are going through a review process
* releases are coming from release branches

Please read the full text before commenting to get all details.

This workflow will be adopted by some core modules, and is recommended for all
KDE modules. It's flexible enough to be used by modules of different sizes and
different requirements in terms of stability, so we hope it to be a reasonable
fit for as many people as possible. Obviously we'll have to see how well it
works and adapt it, if necessary, but it should be a good start.