Changing the defaults for HTTP ACCEPT, ACCEPT-LANGUAGE and USERAGENT headers

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Wed Jun 8 12:41:22 BST 2011

On Sunday 08 May 2011, Dawit A wrote:
> In hopes of making Konqueror's default settings for the aforementioned
> HTTP headers inline with other browsers, I want to change the default
> settings for these three header as outlined below.
>
> ** Please note that this only affects the default! Each and every
> application can tell the ioslave what to use through the KIO meta-data
> system for each one of these parameters.
>
> USER-AGENT HEADER
> =================
> OLD DEFAULT:  Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/4.6; Linux)
> KHTML/4.6.41 (like Gecko)
> NEW DEFAULT: Mozilla/5.0 (X11) KHTML/4.6.41 (like Gecko) Konqueror/4.6
>
> OLD Full:    Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/4.6; Linux 2.6.31;
> x86-64; en_US) KHTML/4.6.41 (like Gecko)
> NEW Full:   Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux 2.6.31 x86-64; en_US) KHTML/4.6.41
> (like Gecko) Konqueror/4.6

Looks good. I tried something similar two years ago, but didn't have the time
to properly test it on enough websites.

A few extra things I was changing:
1. Remove point release version for Linux and probably KDE, this is considered
dangerous (can reveal a linux version with specific bugs to be exploited)
2. Add Webkit (or AppleWebKit?) besides Gecko. If I remember correctly I added
a both Webkit and a webkit-version number indicating a minimum equivalent
webkit version. This fixed a long range of websites that otherwise required
UA-spoofing.

In short the change means better support from websites that does not detect
konqueror, but it could accidently ruin website that already detect konqueror.

Regards
`Allan