Intended organization of KDE Frameworks

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jun 7 08:46:54 BST 2011

A Tuesday, June 07, 2011, Kevin Ottens va escriure:
> On Tuesday 7 June 2011 01:26:17 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Tuesday, June 07, 2011, Kevin Ottens va escriure:
> > > Well, obviously a Tier 1 framework would have to use tr() instead of
> > > i18n() for its translation needs.
> >
> > Are we still going to use .po or you plan on us moving to Qt translation
> > files?
>
> Well, I honestly don't know what awesome magic you used for libsolid, so
> for me it's "the same recipe". Note that it'll happen mostly for Tier 1
> frameworks though.

Unfortunately that is not possible. Right now Solid is translated using .po
but that only works in KDE applications because you have a KGlobal+KLocale
around that loads .mo files (compiled .po), hijacks Qt calls and maps them to
the .mo contents. Without a KGlobal+KLocale around that will not work.

This means that if you want Tier 1 frameworks to be translatable you need
either to teach Qt to understand gettext files natively or to make Tier 1
frameworks use pure based Qt/Linguist solutions which does not fit either in
what scripty is able to do neither in what our translators are used to.

Albert