X11 expert help needed

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 21:43:58 BST 2011

Am Fri, 29 Jul 2011 21:54:38 +0200
schrieb Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>:

> From these three, only Xkbfile is a separate library ?
> For the other two only for headers is checked.
>
> Do you know what the exact purpose of XSync and xkbfile is (not only
> for KDE) ?

XSync() is similar to XFlush() and locks until all calls to the server
have been processed...
!! --> BUT this is NOT extensions/sync.h, what's
checked for HAVE_XSYNC - this implements some sort of mutex protocol
across X11 clients.

afaics it's currently only used (by kwin) to schedule window resizes
until the client is internally done with the resize (relayouting and
stuff - iff supported)

xkbfile sounds and looks alot like support for parsing the xkbd files
(keyboard layouts, "setxkbmap") - but i'm not really sure.

> What is Xi ?
extensions/XI.h ? - X input extension, general input handling stuff
XI2 is the current version - should be low level stuff and is _maybe_
required by kglobalaccel

> > I think it would make sense to update the KDE's one.
>
> In the KDE version additionally Xau, Xdmcl, Xpm and Xft are added
xpm is the xpixmap format (im/export i assume, it should not required
to use Pixmap drawables but eg. for cursors or so, i think...)

xft are fonts, not really required since there's fontconfig but you may
loose support for server only fonts.

xdmc_p_ (no idea about _l_, typo?) & libXau should somehow be related to
the desktop manager (KDM in our case) -> ask Ossi ;-) (but i don't think
they're required for each and every application)

Cheers,
Thomas