Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings"

Ambroz Bizjak ambrop7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 21:54:16 BST 2011

Hi Thomas,

I'm not saying that the issues you have exposed do not exist. They are
however minor in nature and do not invalidate my solution.

> You call that "technical" and "not social"?
My proposal is technical. I have only mentioned the social aspects
when you have risen social issues about it.

> You'll at best be able to resolve risen clashes.
Yes, exactly. That's what the original problem was. The original
problem was not "We have to prevent ALL name clashes"; rather, it was
"System Settings clashes with a Gnome application". So I think we
should stay on point here and not wander into some utopian land you
seem to be imagining.

> And in a quite workload causing way - systemsetting would eg. require
> an "KDE System Settings" entry for _every_ desktop but KDE ...
You are mistaken here. I am afraid you just got a glimpse of my idea
which was really a case pointing out an issue in some other inferior
idea. Actually only this would be required in the System Settings
case:

Name=KDE System Settings
Specific-KDE-Name=System Settings

and would result in the program being called "System Settings" in KDE,
and "KDE System Settings" in everything else, including DEs which do
not know anything about my proposed extension.

I suggest you look at the whole mail history. My original proposal is
here (but I reversed the names there accidentally, sorry about that):
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=131160689716557&w=2

Regards,
Ambroz