Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings"

Ambroz Bizjak ambrop7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 19:39:27 BST 2011

Hi Thomas.

> Sorry for stepping in here, but are you really discussing to present
> the users different names for applications (not the bins, but we're
> talking about joe) under different circumstances so if i'd tell a user
> to run "foo" he won't be able cause it's called "bar" in his DE?
Yes, that is what this extension would allow. It's a powerful tool,
and any powerful tool can be abused. The presumption of course that
people choosing the names will choose them sensibly. For example, in
the System Settings case, in KDE, there could be "System Settings" and
"Gnome System Settings", with the former being the KDE version;
similarly in Gnome. And I think it's better than having two
identically named "System Settings", or having both of them always
prefixed, i.e. "KDE System Settings" and "Gnome System Settings". For
example, consider the user asks you how he can change the fonts. You
would simply tell him to open "System Settings", and it would open his
desktop's native configuration tool, which should work even for
non-native applications IIRC. On the other hand, if he says that he
changed something, but it didn't work in that particular application,
you would tell him to open the other System Settings (better than
telling him "kcmshell4 whatever"!)

> The .desktop file already knows a name and a generic name and the
> representation (aka "runner") could be smart enought to detect
> pseudo doublettes and use the generic name by default and attach the
> non generic name  (or, as LLOD the binary) for clarification if
> necessary or just to be "honest".
This doesn't solve the original problem. The two "System Settings" in
fact have the same Name. It is also harder to implement, and the
behavior is non-obvious.

> You're currently only talking about solutions covering LANG=C but you
> cannot possibly expect translators to avoid such clashes in their
> translations if the application name does not contain some trademark.
> Eg. "system settings" as well as "configuration center" could easily
> end up as "Systemeinstellungen" in German - simply cause it's (iirc -
> bee a long time) the winblows term - some languages might not even
> leave any options in some cases.
My proposal is not tied to English in any way. The individual
Specific-DE- prefixed keys would come localized, just like the
non-prefixed keys. I don't see how choosing sensible names in other
languages could be much harder than in English.

Regards,
Ambroz