Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings"

Ambroz Bizjak ambrop7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 10:48:12 BST 2011

Hi Mark,

I am strongly opposed to the particular solution you are implementing.
You are trying to extend the desktop file specification in a very
non-generic and non-intuitive way, and people will obviously oppose
that.

The particular problems I see with your original proposed solution are:
- You are only extending the "Name" field. It will not be possible to
have a DE-specific GenericName field, for example.
- You are adding two new fields to the specification, when the same
effect could be achieved with just one new field (or class of fields)
- Anything that is not aware of the your extension (which probably
means it is not KDE) will be using the KDE-specific name rather than
the generic name, until that software was patched to understand the
extension.

Please consider my second suggestion - it is a much more generic
solution, and it does not have any of the problems I listed above.

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=131160689716557&w=2

I'm sorry, I messed up the example there; it should say:

Name=KDE System Settings
Specific-KDE-Name=System Settings

To implement this solution I guess you'd have to modify
KConfigGroup::readEntry to first look for "Specific-KDE-<name>" and
revert to "<name>" if the former does not exist.

Regards,
Ambroz