Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Jul 25 04:57:16 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM, marcel partap <mpartap at gmx.net> wrote:
>> KDE 4.7 will probably be shipped by distributions alongside GNOME 3.0.
>> A short term solution is required at the bare minimum to fix that -
>> which can be done as I noted.
>
> Where's the problem? Have the release tarballs already and irrevocably been
> forged and fed into some unstoppable mechanism?

Per the KDE Release Schedule, we are frozen for everything except
build compilation failures, as the KDE 4.7.0 release process is
underway.

>> On 23/07/11 00:25, Shaun McCance wrote:
>>>
>>> Name=System Settings
>>> OnlyShowIn=KDE
>>>
>>> The other looks like this:
>>>
>>> Name=KDE System Settings
>>> NotShowIn=KDE
>
> Why not just SVN_SILENTly add these tree lines in the .desktop file and
> include in 4.7 gold? Two more days seem to give plenty time for that.

That is a violation of the release schedule. See above. The
translation freeze started a long time ago.

>> Otherwise our users will be the ones who will suffer.
>
> I really doubt anyone is going to 'suffer'... This NamingClashCrisis is more

They will. As an example, KMyMoney users for instance depend on System
Settings to be able to set their locale, and therefore the default
currency, date format, etc.

> ridiculous ego tussle then a real problem. For comparison, hunger crisis in
> Somalia is a real problem where people actually do suffer.
> #peace/marcel.

Regards,
Ben