Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Sun Jul 24 22:52:08 BST 2011

On Sunday 24 July 2011 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Dropping GNOME out of this, as it seems quite clear they aren't
> interested in co-operating at all. Which is fairly typical for them,
> they're insular and only care for themselves.

I don't want to let a statement like this stand as it is. There are a lot of
people in the GNOME community who do want to cooperate. There certainly are
also people who don't. That's the same in our community. Not everybody cares
about cross-desktop collaboration, and this creates issues, as we have seen.

Still, we should treat each other with respect. I understand that it makes you
angry, if things break because of decisions outside your control, which you
consider to be wrong. But being angry doesn't solve problems, especially not
when communication about a common solution is required.

There are a lot of technical things we can do to address this specific
problem, taking settings from the platform, making configuration available in
context, making KDE applications and frameworks more modular and less
interdependent. Not everything can be done easily, but we should look for the
right solutions and persue them.

Additionally we need to talk about how to do integration across desktops. We
should not be content with having insular desktops, neither on the GNOME side,
nor on our side, nor anywhere else. This only limits us, how we are perceived,
and what users think what they can do with KDE software. We aren't the
monolithic desktop, which only runs KDE software, and which is required by all
KDE applications. That's exactly the misconception we are trying to get rid
of.

So let's have a constructive conversation with GNOME and others how to share
settings, how to integrate applications running on different workspaces
independent of the toolkit they are implemented with. The desktop summit
provides a great opportunity for that.

But again, please act with respect for your own and other communities. Being
aggressive doesn't help in finding good solutions for users, and it's really
not the atmosphere, I'd like to see in KDE.