Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Martin Sandsmark sandsmark at samfundet.no
Sun Jul 24 12:38:34 BST 2011

On Sunday 24 July 2011 17:55:54 Giovanni Campagna wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 24/07/2011 alle 22.37 +1200, Ben Cooksley ha scritto:
> > Wrong, wrong and wrong.
> > Phonon backend cannot be configured without System Settings.
> And that's a feature, I suppose. As a GNOME user, I want GStreamer at
> all times (and as a Fedora user, I can't even install xine).

The Xine backend is not maintained anymore, so the choice is between the
libvlc backend and gstreamer backend for most users, and many users actually
prefer the libvlc backend (for many reasons, none of which are relevant here
:-). I am not familiar with what additional restrictions your distro puts on
you wrt. multimedia applications, so this might not be relevant to you,
though.

My two cent is that Gnome should rename it's configuration application to
something that reflects what it is, instead of stealing the name from the KDE
system configuration application.

--
Martin Sandsmark