Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Matthias Clasen matthias.clasen at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 02:15:53 BST 2011

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Luca Ferretti <lferrett at gnome.org> wrote:

> What about, instead, Shaun's proposal? It seems reasonable to me
> (while I like to test it) and we could do the same in GNOME stuff
> (while it's additional work for maintainers and tranlators).

I don't think Shauns proposal addresses the issue, really.

If you want an app to be usable in different environments, then there
are some good solutions:
- make sure the app is self-contained and manages all of its settings itself
- make your app smart enough to pick up the relevant settings from the
different environments you want to support

And there are bad solutions, including:
- making the app drag along half of its original environment, via dependencies