Fixes in Git (first in stable, then merge to master)

Johannes Sixt j.sixt at viscovery.net
Fri Jul 22 07:37:23 BST 2011

Am 7/21/2011 23:22, schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
> What I have been doing recently to avoid cherry-picking is to create my
> fixes in a separate work branch, then merge the branch in both 4.7 and
> master branches. This way the commits do not have different commit ids.

But this works only if you fork off your topic from a commit that is in
both 4.7 and master, i.e., before 4.7 and master forked. Do you do that?

This is a very reasonable (and git-ish) way to avoid cherry-picks and
still avoid merging 4.7 into master. (But the latter, avoiding to merge
4.7 into master, is very un-git-ish.)

-- Hannes