Fixes in Git (first in stable, then merge to master)

Alex Fiestas afiestaso at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 10:52:31 BST 2011

Hi there

Last few days I have been patching some pieces of our workspace here and
there, the first set of patches I did them directly into master which if
I remember correctly was against the policy.
So, the second round of fixes I tried to do it the right way, which is:
1-Create the patch while using 4.7 (optional I guess)
2-Test the patch in 4.7
3-Commit the patch in 4.7
4-Checkout master branch
5-Merge 4.7 into master

In theory, this workflow should work (I like it dcvs-wise) but the
reality for me was:
1-A lot of conlicts
2-Conlicts on software I don't know about
3-Conflicts in .desktop translations
4-Something that should be almost instant, is not <at all>

The result of a merge of 4.7 in master can be observed in the attached
screenshot.

So, at this point I'm wondering if the policy is bad or (and this option
is the more plausible) I don't know how to use the tool.

Cheers and sorry for the cherry-pick's I've done so far.