Date/Time in KF5 / Qt5

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Jul 6 21:56:04 BST 2011

On Wednesday 29 June 2011 20:54:48 John Layt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is the second email in the series of three looking at KLocale in
> Frameworks 5.  This email covers Date/Time, so I have also cc'ed the PIM
> mailing list for their input.
>
> As with QLocale, the lack of features in QDateTime has forced KDE to create
> our own solutions such as KDateTime, KLocalizedDate and KCalendarSystem at the
> cost of interoperability with pure-Qt code.  In KF5/Qt5 I want to work to
> resolve this problem by implementing full support for our required features in
> Qt.  The discussions held at QtCS were very promising on being able to achieve
> this.  You can find the notes at
> http://developer.qt.nokia.com/groups/qt_contributors_summit/wiki/QDateTime
>
> Time Zones: A feature everyone wants but no-one seems to have the expertise or
> time to do.  The general consensus was that a new QTimeZone class was required
> to be embedded in QDateTime with an api based around the Unix/Olsen time
> zones, but using the host platform time zone system in the background.  This
> is the same concept as KTimeZone so should meet our requirements.  I'll be
> trying to co-ordinate this, but I need people to step up and take on the
> implementation.  Ideally the authors of our time zone support will be willing
> to port their own code over, or at least review other peoples code
> submissions.  If not all the most advanced time zone features of KDateTime are
> accepted we can probably put them into a support class.

Hi John,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I don't have time to take on the work of implementing this, but in any case, I don't think that I'd want to contribute significant new code to Qt unless the licence was purely (L)GPL, or unless (and I wouldn't have time even in that case) I was paid for it. I would be willing to review other people's code, though.

Cheers,
--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.