Translation in Qt5

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Mon Jul 4 17:06:10 BST 2011

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 04:46:27PM +0200, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> > [: Oswald Buddenhagen :]
> I don't think there is a clear benefit in unifying KDE and Qt translation
> systems.
>
> _From the point of view of Qt, considering their paying customers, why
> change anything in Linguist system?

because "everyone" is complaining about the extra contexts, including
our qml team. so there will be change. the question is what is necessary
to compensate it (@tags) and what we can usefully piggy-back on it as we
change anyway.

> The other benefit was that one could use one and the same translation
> system in both pure Qt and KDE projects; but this can be so anyway,
> since after modularization of kdelibs, KDE translation system will be
> a standalone library that could depend only on Qt[3].

you are missing the point here. there won't be a "kde app" distinction
any more, not at the level where i18n starts to play a role (which is
qtcore). kde libs continuing to have a separate i18n system will
immediately cut half of their value as qt addons.