Merge or Cherry-Pick?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Jan 31 23:29:12 GMT 2011

On Monday, 31 de January de 2011 23:50:49 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:27:15PM +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Monday, 31 de January de 2011 22:58:52 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > something that hasn't been written down as far as I can see (if I
> > > overlooked it, please point me to it) is what the policy on kdelibs
> > > is
> > > to be now wrt. merging vs. cherry-picking of changes in branches and
> > > master?
> >
> > Commit to 4.6, merge 4.6 into master.
>
> that's hard enough in qt, and there is totally no way that kde's
> discipline would be sufficient to make forward-merging feasible (as in
> "actually helpful and producing an even remotely readable history").

Only because in Qt we do it in batches, so we get lots of changes. And the Qt
repository is way bigger than anything KDE has.

If people merge after they've applied a change to the previous version, only
their change needs merging. If it conflicts, it's your change.

> therefore i'm for cherry-picking, preferably with a mandated -x flag.
> of course that means no merge tracking whatsover, which is about as much
> as we used from svn when it comes to bugfix backports.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358