kdelibs, kdebase moving to Git this Saturday

Johannes Sixt j.sixt at viscovery.net
Fri Jan 28 09:24:44 GMT 2011

Am 1/28/2011 4:06, schrieb Nicolas Alvarez:
> John Tapsell wrote:
>> 2011/1/27 Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com>:
>>> Please, help review the repositories before migration! Unlike KDE
>>> software, here we won't have point releases to fix bugs later :)
>>
>> I have quite a few commits in kdebase-workspace with the commit message:
>>
>> SVN_SILENT:
>> Do blahblah
>>
>> and
>>
>> GUI:
>> do blah blah
>>

>> Since git places a high important on the very first line, could we
>> mangle these into  "SVN_SILENT: Do blahblah"  and "GUI: do blah blah"
>>  ?
>>
>> So check if the first line contains only a keyword, and if so combine
>> with next line?
>
> It's technically possible, but it may involve a lot of manual work.

How so? Isn't it just a matter of

 git filter-branch --msg-filter 'perl -lne "
	if (/^(SVN_SILENT)[: ]*$/) { $tag = \"$1: \"; next;}
	print $tag, $_;
	$tag = \"\";"' --tag-name-filter cat -- --all

It would be a stress test to rewrite 100,000 commits with
git-filter-branch. You will need a file system that can efficiently store
and access that many files in a single directory. *That* may become the
bottleneck.

> And many people (not including me) disagree with this kind of history edits;
> for example: "<Sho_> IMHO the objective is to import the SVN history
> faithfully and accurately"

I agree somewhat as far as file contents are concerned, but commit
messages should be a help, not a hinderance.

-- Hannes