Usefulness of Subject-header of git commit mails

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Sun Jan 23 23:03:30 GMT 2011

On Sunday 23 January 2011, Eike Hein wrote:
> > @sysadmins: would it be possible to change the format for some repos or
> > is this not possible? I.e. leave the decision to the project
> > maintainers?
>
> Would you be OK with this hybrid format that we discussed a few
> days ago:

> * branch only shown if != master.
>
> If we could agree on a hybrid, IMHO that'd be a better solution
> than having different formats in play. It's technically possible
> to make it configurable, but people who subscribe to multiple
> repositories with different formats might get irked by it, it
> might make writing filter rules for some more complex, etc.

Btw. This sounds like a really good format. Though I assume "commit subject"
is still just the first line of the commit message, like it is commonly in
git. When you have feature like that, the developers also needs to use that
feature, so we need to format the commit messages better now. Hopefully it
will come naturally to most developers.

`Allan