Usefulness of Subject-header of git commit mails

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Jan 23 21:18:10 GMT 2011

On Sunday 23 January 2011, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Stephen Kelly, 23.01.2011:
> > FWIW the problem I had with the old git format was that the subject
> > was not long enough. I guess pretty=oneline only takes the first
> > 72 chars or whatever of the first commit line, but in practice
> > people don't stick to that as a limit, so pragmatically it should
> > be extended if there's a way to revert to that email subject.
>
> Right, but afaik email subject headers have a length-limitation so
> trimming it at 72 chars or something is fine.

Hmm, if there is a limitation then it's 998 characters. Lines in email
messages should not be longer than 78 characters but thanks to header
folding one can put much more characters into one header.

Anyway, it doesn't really make much sense to put more characters into
the Subject because in the usual message list view there isn't that much
space for the subject (unless you make the subject column so wide that
you waste copious amounts of screen space).

Regards,
Ingo