The hidden problem with using QProcess/KProcess in kdelibs...

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sun Jan 23 02:50:46 GMT 2011

On Saturday, January 22, 2011 16:53:29 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Saturday, 22 de January de 2011 22:08:25 Christoph Bartoschek wrote:
> > Am Samstag 22 Januar 2011 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> > > However, what I really want is that kernel developers give me a modern
> > > way of finding out a process has exited.
> >
> > Hi, I do not know whether it works as desired, but did you look at
> > signalfd(2)?
>
> Doesn't solve the problem. You still need to block the signals in all
> threads signalfd can receive it.
>
> It needs to be done without signals.

Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, but what is missing from waitpid(2), or
the more recent waitid(2)? Both of those allow you to wait for specific
processes. It would have to be done in an alternate thread to avoid blocking
but you've already mentioned using a separate thread to support the current
SIGCHLD signal handler.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne