KDE git docs for dummies ? WAS: Re: splitting up kdebase in git

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jan 20 10:25:46 GMT 2011

On Thursday, January 20, 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 19, 2011, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual looks quite ok for
> > somebody who knows how to use git for KDE, but not for me.
> > Can somebody please add a simple step-by-step howto, what I have to do
> > with identity.kde.org, projects.kde.org and git.kde.org, how the git
> > push/merge/branching policy is for KDE, etc. If there are existing blog
>
> this is, at least to me, two related but separate topics:
>
> a) how do i get myself hooked up with all the tools?
> b) what is the development workflow once i have those tools?

just occured to me that there is a third topic here, too:

c) how to build KDE software from the new git repositories

we'll need to replace the "getting started" tutorials currently on techbase
with something that uses the new git stuff. it probably makes sense to make
something much, much more simple this time around, even if it is less
comprehensive and doesn't cover every possible use case in the main tutorial.

once kdesrc-build and the projects.kde.org xml file are able to work together
(and how i dream for a nice simple Qt GUI to sit on top of that :), i think it
would make sense to drive people who want to build KDE software from our
repositories in that direction. it's simple, straight-forward and should mask
a lot of the possible complexity with the new git infrastructure. kdesrc-build
is the kind of thing that people can use to get up and started within minutes
with.

building an individual module by "hand", important for starting to contribute
to a given module, can be another small tutorial. from there readers could be
directed to the CMake documentation as well for more in depth info.

the relationships between the modules (qt -> support -> libs -> runtime,
workspace, SC modules, extragear) could be another.

still, the first "getting started building KDE software" tutorial should be
kept dead simple.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se