splitting up kdebase in git

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 18 23:13:58 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, January 18, 2011, John Tapsell wrote:
> On 18 January 2011 21:34, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > konsole, however, is a significant application in its own right that
> > doesn't actually share code with the rest of the apps in there (besides
> > Qt, kdelibs and runtime, of course ;). so it is getting its own repo.
> >
> > if there are any questions / concerns / thoughts on this, please provide
> > your feedback now as we'd like to make the move as soon as possible once
> > 4.6.0 is released.
>
> apps/ksysguard could get its own repo as well.  It's completely
> standalone, and (a few?) people want to compile ksysguardd (the
> daemon) by itself.

the complication there is that krunner also relies on libksyguard, which lives
in kdebase/workspace/libs/ksysguard. so we'd either end up with a really odd
dependency in ksysguard on kde-workspace, or kde-workspace would end up
depending on the ksysguard repository .. and then there's the matter of binary
compatibility in the library due to that (a number of practical solutions
there available to us, though).

a process table and such seems a fairly important piece to the workspace, at
least the desktop (can't imagine shipping without it, really?) ...

possible options i can think of:

* don't split out ksysguard
* give libksysguard a binary compat strategy, make kde-workspace depend on it
* make the process table a generic plugin of some sort that krunner tries to
load at runtime, making ksysguard "only" a runtime dependency

any other ideas?

(administrivia bit: if we want it split out, we'll have to write some more git
conversion rules)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se