About remove nfs filesharing support

Gary Greene greeneg at tolharadys.net
Tue Jan 4 05:32:05 GMT 2011

On 31 Dec 2010, at 4:26 AM, David Faure wrote:
On Tuesday 28 December 2010, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:

>>> No, NFS is almost always system mounted.  I've never come across
>>> anyone actually using it for user mounts.  Far better to work on
>>> support for protocols that are designed for the job and standardied
>>> like SMB (designed for the job, Rodrigo already implemented), and
>>> Webdav (standardised, could be intergrated with OwnCloud).
>>
>> I use it like that. NFS integrates much better than SMB with unix
>> filesystems, and auto-mounting is not always possible with a laptop that
>> can be moved between different local networks.
>
> Note that the nfs://host ioslave will still be working (*), in addition to
> system mounts. The only thing discussed here is the suid script (and related
> GUI) that allows users to make nfs shares.
>
> (*) so even if "almost always system mounted" is not so true, we still have a
> client solution that doesn't require mounting. Which I like very much because
> it doesn't make your machine hang when the server is shut down and you forgot
> to umount the share... (But then again, sftp:// is easier to setup and more
> secure).
>
> Anyway, I don't know if user-controlled sharing should be kept or removed.
> It would be interesting to have Mandriva's feedback, since the feature was
> coded by Mandriva developers, years ago.

Actually, David, you were the one that did the work of helping shepherding that in (I remember as I was the one that got the original author and you talking to get it into KDE back around the 3.2(I think...) series....)

To be frank, I'd be loath to remove both the ability to create exports or connect to NFS from KDE, as it is a feature that is trivially easy to do on Mac, and Windows (with SFU installed). Please don't remove another system level thing as has been done before.

Best option here is to create a KAuth shim app to do the work for this.