Git Scratch-Pads for every identity.kde.org account (not only developers)

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Sat Jan 1 21:26:23 GMT 2011

Andrea Diamantini, 31.12.2010:
> On Thursday 30 December 2010 17:55:35 Milian Wolff wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I want to bring this topic to discussion. As developer of KDevelop and
> > Kate I'm forced to jump through hoops to get code by new contributors
> > in.
> >
> > Right now the workflow is like this:

<snip>

> > Bye
>
> +1 from here.
> In rekonq development and being used to gitorious and easyness of git
> remotes, we really suffer from this situation.
> I know KDE people is used to reviewboard + svn and I can understand that it
> simply adds "something more" to the usual svn development workflow.
> But this is not the same with git, being it decentralized and having
> remotes and bla bla. In the git case, it seems "forcing" a different
> workflow from what seems natural and easier (pulling the remote branch).
> I also noticed people tending to just comment what is "visible" and "easy"
> in reviewboard (wrong coding style, unuseful changes in the code, etc..)
> instead of downloading/applying/testing locally the patch. Thing that
> never happened before.

True, I've also seen me just commenting on the obvious stuff before actually
trying the stuff out. Downloading a patch and applying it is just a royal
pita. Adding a remote and switching branches is easy, esp. if the other
updates his work and you simply pull in his latest changes into your local
checkout.

--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de