git workflow draft

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed Feb 16 20:40:33 GMT 2011

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:05:51 Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 February 2011 10:58:48 John Layt wrote:
> > # ===[ Subject ]=======================================================|
> > # ---[ One line only, short meaningful description to show in logs ]---|
>
> Personally, I find that starting this short description with the "module",
> "library" or whatever being touched helps when one is skimming through the
> log. "kzip: Fix typo" or "kdecore: Fix typo" looks better than "Fix typo".
>
> Is it worth mentioning in the template?

I would say yes. It matches existing convention from what I can tell, plus
it's simply a good idea as it makes things like git log --oneline a bit more
useful to try to grep through.

At the same time it's not necessarily a big deal if it's left out, as you can
always manually pass a path to git log to have it return only log entries for
the path you're interested in.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne