Moving stuff upstream

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 16 16:45:25 GMT 2011

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> <ddenis> jlayt: I don't see it happening :( For example - currency -
> KLocale just provides too much - we _can_ put it all to Qt, but it will
> take too much effort with no clear benefit - nobody asking for that.
> People are asking us to provide a way to format money (number to string),
> nothing more

to me this highlights things we need to work on within the Qt ecosystem:

* KDE represents a "somebody"; or put another way -> "Qt developers: stop
treating one of your largest downstreams as a nobody." to claim nobody is
asking for it when we have implemented it and hundreds of applications use it
is a bit ... odd :)

* if it is too much effort for the core Qt team given their resources, then
perhaps we need to find ways to re-purpose some of our efforts in kdelibs
(something others have said long before this email, of course :). that
requires, however, a working relationship in which all parties feel confident
that efforts will not be going to waste, which is a role for open governance
to fill

* clearer externally visible roadmaps for Qt so we can coordinate and avoid
the left hand / right hand thing you observed. another role for open
governance.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se