git workflow draft

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 16 12:58:48 GMT 2011

On Tuesday 15 February 2011 18:32:29 John Layt wrote:
> Actually, even more complete minutes, outstanding issues and action points
> can be found at http://community.kde.org/20110213_GitWorkflowAgenda

Following up on my action points for the commit template and config settings.

I've attached a revised commit template below.  The suggestion is for this to
be added to each project repo in the root folder to allow for easy
distribution and updating.  It would also allow each project to customise it
as required, e.g. add links to projects own commit policy, extra tags, etc.

With regards to recommended git config settings, we could set the repo
defaults in .git/config to include things like the kde: shortcuts, the commit
template, and possibly push.default none.  Do we want to do this?  It would
mean fewer steps required by a dev to set up their environment, and they can
be changed by more skilled devs who don't want them (I'm assuming a locally
modified .git/config doesn't get updated from the remote after the initial
clone).  Any drawbacks?

I want to make a start on some of the Git recipe and reference documentation
as things occur to me, and was thinking a central
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Git hub page leading off to the various
tutorial, policy, recipe, sysadmin, etc pages would be a good idea.  Sound OK?

Cheers!

John.

# ---[ You MUST wrap all lines at 72 characters ]----------------------|
#
# ---[ Please see http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Commit_Policy ]-----|
#
# ===[ Subject ]=======================================================|
# ---[ One line only, short meaningful description to show in logs ]---|

# ---[ Leave following line blank, do NOT remove ]---------------------|

# ===[ Details ]=======================================================|
# ---[ Describe what has changed and explain why it has changed ]------|

# ===[ Fields ]========================================================|
# ---[ Uncomment and edit as applicable ]------------------------------|

# ---[ Add Feature to release changelog ]
# ---[ Optionally close a wish in bugs.kde.org as implemented ]
#FEATURE: <optional bug number>
#
# ---[ Close a bug in bugs.kde.org as fixed, with optional version ]
#BUG: <bug number>
#FIXED-IN: <release version>
#
# ---[ Copy commit message to a bug in bugs.kde.org ]
#CCBUG: <bug number>
#
# ---[ Copy commit message to an email address ]
#CCMAIL: <email>
#
# ---[ Close a review in reviewboard.kde.org as submitted ]
#REVIEW: <review number>
#
# ---[ Advise documentation team of user visible changes in the gui ]
#GUI:
#