A Qt replacement for KGlobal::ref and deref

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 16 01:44:38 GMT 2011

On Tuesday, February 15, 2011, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> http://steveire.com/kdelibs-modular.png
>
> * It's broad at the base - Qt developers can pick and choose what they
> want. There are less interdependencies - you can use the itemviews stuff
> without also pulling in KLocale KConfig etc. If you're happy with
> QSettings and QLocale (and Qt developers are happy with those), then you
> don't use them. * All the platformy stuff is at the top instead of at the
> bottom.
> * KDE applications know no difference. The platformy stuff is provided to
> them still.

what's interesting is that we aren't as far from your "desired" diagram
already. your "what it looks like now to a qt developer" diagram is as much a
matter of perspective as it is of the reality. yes, we have modularization to
do (the item views, for instance, perhaps being a good example; kdeui has
several such things in it), but libkdecore is not such a big issue imho. don't
want kconfig? don't use it. splitting it out to its own library is likely to
be more burdone that benefit.

there's also libraries like solid, phonon, attica, qca(, akonadi?) which are
already in that "tier 1" line. even so, we don't communicate that well at all
and our build system layout and the "social contracts" we have with packagers
don't help at all.

so, good news is that we're closer than one might think from the outside
looking in. bad news is we still have quite a bit of work, particularly in
kdeui, kio and our build/packaging/communication targets.

i think we should have diagrams like those on the wall at the Platform 11
meeting. :)

> I'd like kdelibraries to be something Qt developers use and recommend.
> Currently they no neither. KDE should provide a set of high quality Qt
> based libraries, it should be to Qt what boost is to C++.

i like that statement a lot.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se