A Qt replacement for KGlobal::ref and deref

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Feb 14 19:27:04 GMT 2011

On Monday 14 February 2011, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 10 February 2011, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > >
> > > I can tell you, users definitely expect their download to finish,
> > > their mail to be sent [this has hit my wife a few times in
> > > kmail!]. And if a systray
> >
> > I don't dispute that. I'm simply asking that there is some kind of
> > feedback *while* that is happening.
> >
> > Imagine you send an email, close the kmail, and now you want to
> > suspend your computer. How do I know that the email sending has
> > finished?
>
> OK, there should be a job notification. However that is done in
> another process for better integration with the desktop.

Actually, with Akonadi, the sending will be done with yet another (non-
GUI) process. Again, for better integration with the desktop. Because
why should an application like KAlarm start KMail just to send a
notification.

For obvious reasons KMail will not wait until the message is sent before
it quits. It will quit as soon as it has passed the message to the
dispatcher. Just like in the good old times when sending was done by
passing a message to sendmail. But, of course, as David explained, there
will be a job notification (unlike with sendmail where the user didn't
get any UI feedback).

Regards,
Ingo