Integration vs tight coupling (was Re: A Qt replacement for KGlobal::ref and deref)

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Feb 9 22:25:26 GMT 2011

A Dimecres, 9 de febrer de 2011, Stephen Kelly va escriure:
> Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > A Dimecres, 9 de febrer de 2011, Stephen Kelly va escriure:
> >> (Creating a new thread)

> >> How so? The libraries that are in kdesupport (such as attica to pick the
> >> first) could just as easily be in kdelibs. If it was in kdelibs, would
> >> you object to moving it out? What loss of functionality or repeated code
> >> would occur if attica was moved out (imagining it was in to begin with).
> >
> > Of course attica won't lose any functionality becuase it is Qt only
> > already. But if attica had been designed to be a KDE library and not as a
> > Qt-only library it would be using KLineEdit instead of QLineEdit, so
> > obviously moving it out of kdelibs (which i guess in your world means
> > stop using KLineEdit) would be a functionality loss.
> >
> > Albert
>
> That depends on where KLineEdit appears in kdelibs and where attica
> appears. The library KLineEdit is in, kdeui or whatever, could be a Tier 1
> or Tier2 library in the scheme I wrote about on the wiki. Tier1 doesn't
> mean no QtGui or anything like it.
>
> If the attica developers don't actually need the extra completion modes
> provided by KLineEdit, they could make it attica a Tier1 or Tier2 library,
> depending on whether they need something else from kdelibs.
>
> Using KLineEdit instead of QLineEdit does not necessarily provide extra
> functionality if the features it provides are not used.

KLineEdit is integrated with KDE, QLineEdit is not, we can discuss this all
you want, but not using KLineEdit gives your users a poorer user experience.

Of course in an ideal world, QLineEdit would get all the KLineEdit features,
but that's not going to happen and we know it.

Albert