proposal: remove KTextEditor interface from kdelibs repository

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Feb 9 20:42:07 GMT 2011

On Wednesday 09 February 2011, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> >> There is a wiki page for this stuff by the way. Feel free to review it
> >> or add to it.
> >>
> >> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KDELibsModifications
> >
> > From the page:
> >
> > TODO    kdelibs    Merge kdesupport(which is all functional libraries)
> > into kdelibs
> >
> > Sounds good. But kdesupport is not what it once was, stuff has been moved
> > out of it, e.g. phonon.
> > There are also other nice Qt-addon libraries, like probably most
> > prominently Qwt (http://qwt.sourceforge.net) or maybe also Qxt
> > (http://dev.libqxt.org/libqxt/wiki/Home).
> > Having a set of non-platform, basically Qt-extension libraries, like
> > stuff in kdesupport is, is not too different from those.
> > Maybe we could invite them (Qwt) to become part of the "KDE-powered Qt
> > extension libraries" ?
>
> From a thread linked in the page :) :
> > Benjamin and I were in the qxt channel to see what kind of stuff
> > they have, how it's licenced, and organized etc. It's not clear yet if
> > that would be a good place to put classes like these. Personally, I'd
> > prefer something tied to the kde release schedule. I'm not sure the qxt
> > guys would go for that though.

Ooops, sorry, didn't see that. Actually I heard from Qxt the first time just a
few weeks ago.

> Things have changed, as you said. I'm all for making something more
> inclusive of the existing community of extensions to Qt if that's possible.
> Evaluating whether some kde libraries can be made Qt only without kde
> interdependencies needs to happen first though I think.

Yes. One question is where to draw a line.
E.g. for me (speaking as commercial developer) I'd be fine to have to link a
few more libraries, as long as they don't require to run some extra daemons
or something. So if there was some library which depends on Qt and some
library from the KDE non-platformy libs this would probbaly be fine with me.
IOW, I wouldn't want to have to start virtuoso to use some graphing widget ;-)

> Qxt may also have the same problem KDE has.
>
> http://libqxt.bitbucket.org/doc/tip/qxtapplication.html
>
> Do you have to use a QxtApplication to use some features of Qxt? Is that at
> odds with KApplication? I have no idea. Does Qwt have something similar?

No, Qwt is really just a set of widgets.

Alex