Initial merge (was: Re: Merge or Cherry-Pick?)

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Fri Feb 4 14:27:49 GMT 2011

On Fri, Feb 04, 2011 at 08:47:08AM +0100, Johannes Sixt wrote:
> (e) There is no (e).

as far as i'm concerned, there isn't even an (a).
i said about a year ago and repeated it later that *if* we wanted a
forward-merge based process, we would have to do the git migration
*before* branching off the next stable branch. that ship has sailed - we
are in our old cherry-picking process now, and merging will just make
the history an utter mess (but then, i'm sure everybody loves seeing
every commit twice - right?).
and i'm strongly opposed to merging any previous branches back to master
with -s ours, as this will effectively rewrite history (we did *not*
merge back, and claiming that now will possibly hide actual omissions).