Initial merge (was: Re: Merge or Cherry-Pick?)

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Fri Feb 4 12:51:00 GMT 2011

On 04.02.11 08:47:08, Johannes Sixt wrote:
> Am 2/3/2011 13:04, schrieb Johannes Sixt:
> > Before anybody begins to work in this way, someone with sufficient
> > knowlege must introduce the first real merge of the 4.6 branch into the
> > master branch. The conflicts must be resolved; or it is possible to punt
> > by using -s ours.
> >
> > As long as this merge did not happen, anyone who wants to use the merge
> > workflow is at a loss, unfortunately.
>
> I tried to do the initial merges in kdelibs, kde-runtime, kde-baseapps,
> and kde-workspace yesterday, and they turned out to be rather simple with
> a surprisingly trivial result. Fast-forward to 5. below if you want to
> know what it is.
>
> The simplicity results from two assumptions:
>
> (1) All back- and forward-porting was complete when SVN went
> read-only.

I'm not sure that assumption is safe.

> (2) *.desktop and similar files are "generated" files, i.e., their content
> is dictated from outside the repository.

And that one is certainly not safe, unless you're solely talking about the
translated parts in them. Not everything in a .desktop file is generated.

I'm sure you know that already, just wanted to point that out in case
somebody stumbles over this in the future.

Andreas

--
Make a wish, it might come true.