Merge or Cherry-Pick?

Johannes Sixt j.sixt at viscovery.net
Thu Feb 3 12:04:18 GMT 2011

Am 2/3/2011 12:15, schrieb Hugo Pereira Da Costa:
> So I git cloned KDE/4.6 into some local branch (git checkout KDE/4.6; git
> checkout -b toolbuttons), then fix, then test.
>
> Now I want to merge to the KDE/4.6 branch; thats easy.
>
> Then I want to merge to master (or to some local branch cloned from master and
> then from there to master). As already announced in this thread, this results
> in tons of conflicts (notably many .desktop files).

Before anybody begins to work in this way, someone with sufficient
knowlege must introduce the first real merge of the 4.6 branch into the
master branch. The conflicts must be resolved; or it is possible to punt
by using -s ours.

As long as this merge did not happen, anyone who wants to use the merge
workflow is at a loss, unfortunately.

> I do: git merge -X ours toolbuttons
> Is that the correct action to take ?

No. Perhaps you meant 'git merge -s ours toolbuttons', but even that would
be wrong because it would ignore your changes that you made in the 4.6
branch - but this defeats the purpose of the merge.

> Or should I give up and cherry-pick ? (I'd really like not to).

My recommendation: Keep the fix in 4.6 only for the moment. Just wait
until the initial merge has happened - and lets hope (HOPE BIG TIME) that
the person doing that merge knows what s/he is doing!

Hannes
--
"Atomic objects are neither active nor radioactive." --
Programming Languages -- C++, Final Committee Draft (Doc.N3092)