Merge or Cherry-Pick?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Feb 2 20:15:31 GMT 2011

On Wednesday, February 2, 2011, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I still think the current procedure is wrong. You're not testing the stable
> release, there's no guarantee that you're solving the problem at all, or
> worse, that you're not making it worse.

and, imho, the stable branch is the more important thing to test: if it goes
wrong in master due to a bad or unecessary merge from stable, you usually have
months to notice and fix it. certain you or your teammates that also track
master will notice it faster than if it sits in the stable branch where
primary devel isn't happening anymore. with our monthly x.y.z releases, you
have at most a few weeks with fewer people tracking the stable branch to catch
a bad merge from master.

so, again at least imho, the risk is higher when backporting compared to
forward porting.

and finally we have a tool that makes it reasonably painless to do it. :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se